Wow, can you believe that summer 2021 is almost a memory? Yes, on September 22nd, it will officially be Autumn, but I couldn’t wait for the fall foods so yesterday, I made Slow Cooked Beans and Greens.
A few weeks ago while grocery shopping at Food Lion, I decided to pick up a few bags of dried beans, including Red Beans, Mixed Beans and of course Black Eye Peas!
This recipe is not only easy to make but it’s filling and is guaranteed to be enough for two days if you have a family of four. It was also perfectly timed because I had to conduct a Podcasting Workshop so I started in the morning and it was ready before my Zoom session began.
- Bag of dried beans – any variety, rinsed in cool water
- Bag of Collard Greens or fresh Collards cleaned and diced
- 1 Smoked Turkey Leg
- 1 Container of Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 Medium onion
- Enough water to cover everything as the beans will absorb the broth
- Rinse the bag of beans
- Pour container of broth into Crockpot
- Add beans and Smoked Turkey Leg
- Rinse Collard Greens
- Put Greens into Crockpot
- Top with Onions, Garlic and Seasoning
- Pour in more water to cover everything as the beans will absorb the broth
- Turn on Slow Cooker on low and cook for 6-7 hours – depending on your Crockpot model
Before serving, remove bones and skin from turkey leg, and enjoy as it or served over rice.