Lidl (lee-dil) is a new grocery store that opened in Middletown a few weeks ago, and although there is an Aldi and Super Walmart right across the street, I guess one more grocery store won’t hurt – especially if the price is right – and believe me on Grand Opening weekend the prices were right.
Although I am originally from New York and had lived with a Jamaican family for a while as well as traveled to many Caribbean Islands, I have never eaten a Plantain. They are larger and harder than ordinary bananas so I figured they wouldn’t be good – boy was I wrong, not only are they good, they are healthy too.
I ran into a fellow Avon Rep, a latina who was buying a few Plantains not only because they were 19 cents each, but she told me that her family loves them and gave me a few recipes to try, which is what I did. She suggested that I boil and mash them for a heart healthy breakfast cereal. So I took her advice and added some organic raisins and honey to the recipe and it was delicious!
1 – Plantain (ripe yellow)
1 – Cup Organic Raisins
1 – Tablespoon Organic Honey
1 – Stick unsalted Butter
1 – Cup Water
Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- Peel and dice ripen Plantain – cut off each end for easier skin removal
- Heat non-stick pan on low heat
- Add stick of butter and allow to melt
- Add Plantain and cook on low for 10-15 minutes
- Mash until soften
- Add Organic Raisins and Honey
- *Add Cup of Water
- Boil on Low Heat for 20 minutes or until desired consistency
- Serve with a few sprinkles of Ground Cinnamon (optional)
* Since this was the first time boiling a Plantain, I realized that you can add the water first which will lessen the cooking time.
Let’s Chat: Have you ever eaten a Plantain? If so, how do you prepare it?