On Tuesday, May 4th, I had an opportunity to present Social Media Growth 101 – Podcast Promotion via Social Media at PodFest 2021 Masterclass Online Summit, and to say that I didn’t have a great time I would be lying!
If you have been following me for a while, then you know that next to blogging, vlogging and podcasting, educating and speaking are my next greatest joys especially when it comes to podcasting.
Whether or not you are a newbie or a veteran podcaster, promotion is by far the biggest pain point for most hosts. Did you know that there are over 60 social media platforms to choose from and that there is no doubt that your ideal audience is one one of them.
However, the biggest problem is how do you promote on social media effectively? The first step is understanding where your audience hangs out and then be there consistently with good content to actively grow that audience.
The number don’t lie!
- Facebook has 2.8 billion monthly active users
- Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users
- Twitter has 353 million monthly active users
- LinkedIn has 310 million monthly active users
However, not all social media platforms are created equal! While you may want to have a presence on all of the main channels: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube, it’s best to start slow and yoou can always expand in the future.
Focus on who your ideal listener may be, as well as the subject matter covered in your show – where do those types of people congregate online? Do they engage with Facebook groups? Are they on Twitter? Are they on Instagram? YouTube?
Using audience data and analytics can help you choose the best platform that matches your listening audience and by spending your initial efforts where you can make the largest impact on your target audience.
Here are a few quick tips:
- Set up a business webpage or website – Podpage or WordPress
- Create one link to make it easier to share
- Create videos and add captions to catch and keep attention
- Send weekly emails or monthly newsletters – preferably Sunday mornings at 7 AM for the early risers and readers
- Use Audiograms/Headliners/Audiobursts for teasers
- Always create a CTA – let them know what you want them to do or where to learn more about you so that you can keep them in your tribe
Click this link to listen to the entire podcast for more tips for promoting your podcast on social media and if you want more podcasting pointers, head over to my YouTube Channel and on Sunday’s at 3 PM at the Podcasting Your Purpose Room on Clubhouse.
Don’t forget that you can always find and follow me on all my social media platforms at https://linktr.ee/delblogger