“Little Green Apples”
Do you remember that song? According to Wikipedia, “Little Green Apples” is a song that was originally written for and released by American recording artist Roger Miller in 1968.
It had since been re-recorded by several artist includingBloodstone, but it’s a classic nevertheless.
Spring has officially sprung and there is more sunlight during the day, so my grocery food choices have also lightened up. While shopping for the ingredients to make a light and tasty Chicken Salad, I knew that wanted to add something that would give it a little crunch. .
After seeing a beautiful display of juicy green apples I knew they would be a perfect choice.
It’s been a long winter filled with lots of Crock Pot Meals and comfort foods so it’s time to lighten up the dinner menu. For this mid-week meal, I used lettuce leaves instead of bread to save a few calories.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced – Perdue Short Cuts Carved Chicken Breasts
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- ½ Green Apple, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ½ cup sweet peppers, diced
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Rinse and pat dry the lettuce leaves
- Wash and dice the celery
- Wash and dice apple – do not peel to remove skin
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, and mustard, then add the chicken, celery, peppers, apples and stir until completely coated
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour or until ready to serve
- Spoon ½ cup onto each of the lettuce leaves
Pour a glass of your favorite beverage and enjoy this other classic song by Bloodstone!